Ihub recently appointed a new CEO by the name Kamal Bhattacharya. Kamal, who formally worked at IBM-research Africa will become ihub’s first CEO, albeit in interim.
Breaking the news, Kamal posted on the ihub’s blog: “Connect, Build, Invent is going to be our new mantra and we will fill it with life as we go through our transformation. The essence in our shift is from serving a somewhat abstract community to serving customers that make up our community. This should not be misconstrued as a transition from doing good to making money. Commercial viability is essential for the iHub to continue to do good and the better we will do commercially, the more we can reinvest into our people and the community we serve.”
Well, I dug deep to find out abit more about Mr. Kamal and here are 5 things you should know about him:
- 1. He was most recently a Director at IBM Research-Africa.
- He holds a PhD in Theoretical Physics from Göttingen University, Germany. He started working with IBM soon after completing his PhD.
- He has been the recipient of multiple IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement awards and best paper awards at international computer science conferences.
- He, reportedly, has authored 50+ scientific publications and filed 20+ patents.
- He is credited with bringing IBM to africa: https://trueafrica.co/article/kamal-bhattacharya-the-man-bringing-ibm-to-africa/